Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dry Erase Can Be Beautiful!

Dare to DIY

We're daring again! This was a bigger bit of a dare than the previous weeks.....as most of my readers are my gift recipients!! So.....I chose the ONE gift that will soon find it's way into the home of my dear friend who I'm almost positive doesn't read my blog!! :-) If you're reading this Jamie....SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER, TURN AWAY, RUN FROM THE ROOM!!


Now, back to the party! I mean it Jamie....don't read any further!!


This project was so fun and one of my favorites! I've already put this on my list of "to make for myself when I have time." A dry erase calendar, family monogram, pretty frame all in one!


This is what the frame and contents looked like when I brought it home from Goodwill...perfect size, not too big, not too small. Looks funky....but oh the wonders of windex and spray paint!

Supply List: Frame from Goodwill, piece of fabric, craft paint!! Easy peasy!

After removing the contents and painting the frame I used permanent black markers to make the calendar grid on the BACK of the glass. Next, I designed the "monogram" on the computer, mirrored it, taped it to the FRONT of the glass and painted on the letters on the BACK using an ITTY BITTY paint brush and regular craft paint. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!! After everything was dry I reassembled the frame with a piece of cloth as the backing. SO PRETTY!!! The entire front surface of the glass is smooth and fully "windexable" , as all the paint and grid are inside the frame now.



Finished! Now just need to add some fun EVENTS!


That's better!


Happy Holidays everyone! I'll post LOTS more homemade gifts AFTER Christmas...when they're all opened and home with their new families!! :-)

Visit Kim over at NewlyWoodwards to check out LOTS of VERY COOL handmade gifts!






19 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This is so creative and looks GREAT. Can you put me on your homemade gift list!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. What a clever way to repurpose a big frame. I'm totally digging this and I'm sure your friend will, too.

    I felt the same way about posting. All my family and friends read our blog. Luckily, I've already given a few homemade gifts, so that helped. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome idea! I'm pretty sure my lines and monogram would not have been as well executed as yours, but I might just try this anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever!! I could totally see using something similar as a running TO DO list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's hand done! Even tracing, mine would not have been nearly as perfect. Great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! Might have to make this one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I've been thinking of doing a variation of this for the dry erase board we have on our fridge. Great job on all that handpainting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really fantastic. That Jaime is a lucky lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this! It looks great, is super creative, not too difficult, and is something that would be used every day!

    How did you get your lines so straight? I would like taping off lines and using black paint would make getting the lines straight a tad easier, for my shaky hands at least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool. How freakin' cool. Okay if this is what you are capable of then you must share the rest..Don't hold out on us okay?

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks ladies!! The nice thing about painting on glass is if you make a booboo you can just wipe it off and start again!

    As for the lines being straight....the secret is a metal edge ruler, a BIG chisel tip Sharpie and a BIG pointed Sharpie! Voila! Straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an AWESOME idea!! Plus it looks great and would be so useful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, I love this! It's going on my to-do list right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. by the way, I'll make sure to link my project back to yours. I like the fabric on yours much better. After the office is all put together, I may change it a bit. AND, I need a vinyl cutter! I thought I could use thin electrical tape though. I know my not straight lines are going to bug me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy..I think yours turned out great! I love the extra space for the "to-do" list, etc. Straight lines can be tricky. When I made mine I used a metal ruler and a very sharp (new) sharpie. Can't wait to see your next creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted you to know that i loved this SO MUCH . . . that I copy-catted it and made one too. :) so if anyone tells you how amazing this is, it's because you are and because i linked this post from my blog to give you the credit.

    http://thewhitakerswindow.blogspot.com/2010/12/still-plenty-of-time-before-christmas.html

    beautiful job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found this on Pinterest ...it's perfect for what I want to do ...now if only I can find a cheap ugly picture, frame 'n all at a good will just as you have ;) haha thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to share these details it’s truly nice. ReMARKable white board

    ReplyDelete

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails