Monday, July 11, 2011

You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for Green Beans


Green bean time is in full swing at my house right now!  Yesterday I harvested for the third time....up to 16 quart bags in the freezer now.  We prefer our green beans little and fresh....so freezing is the best option.  I usually can a few quarts for green bean casserole, etc....but the rest get blanched and popped in the freezer.  Then when we're ready to eat them I throw them in the steamer for a few minutes and voila...tastes like a fresh green bean!


Oh, and my green bean harvest is going along SO much easier (wink wink) since I found this gorgeous old enamel pan at my favorite "junk" store.  Seriously folks, who can resist vintage enamel?  Not me.  It fits PERFECTLY in my sink, resting on the edges while I clean each bean. :-)

We've been busy lately...summer has a way of doing that....I'll show you what we've been up to tomorrow! (besides picking truckloads of green beans)

5 comments:

  1. I love that pan..it reminds me of my grandparents' farm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing this makes me so wish I was not lazy in the garden this year. Those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My green beans are behind...I planted them late and then replanted when Mr. Rabbit ate them all. Yours look great...and can I borrow your Dad? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM...I am drooling at your green bean photos. We love them at my house, too. Your pan is great. Doesn't it make you feel like a 40s farm wife when you use it? :) I went to a cooking demonstration at the Marion farmers' market on Saturday and the dietician made green beans sauteed in olive oil with shallots and pancetta...SO amazingly good!!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I wish I could come over and share in your bounty. I love green beans!! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails