Friday, November 6, 2009

The Pillow


Handmade. Is this something most kids know anything about anymore? I've always...ALWAYS (just ask my parents) prided myself on MAKING gifts. There is just something special about the anticipation of awaiting the look on your gift recipient's face when they open a gift that you know you have put careful consideration, time, and love into. Marsh attended a classmate's birthday party this week....fun event for him. When we received the invitation I pondered long and hard about what I could MAKE for this little guy's gift. Boys are definitely more difficult than girls, but certainly not impossible.

This pillow is what I landed on. Marsh has one similar to it and enjoys it, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try for this birthday gift. I have to admit I held my breath a little as the birthday boy tore into the bag....hoping (praying) he wouldn't spit in disgust at the thought that Marsh had given him "home decor" on his very important day.

To my delight (and I have to admit, surprise), the pillow seemed to be his favorite gift, as he expressed a heartfelt thank you for it and how it would "go" with his room. The birthday boy's mom even waxed on about how it was handmade and that I'd taken the time to MAKE something for him. I assured her that I enjoyed making his gift and was glad he enjoyed it. In fact I ran into mom out and about today and AGAIN she mentioned how much he loves the pillow and carried it around all night.

Makes you wonder, huh? At our very core, what we want is to know others care for us and that we're worthy of time and energy being spent for our benefit and enjoyment. Sometimes we need to take a step back and think about what will benefit our little ones...more money being spent on plastic from a faraway land or a gift crafted from things we already own, with love and care.


Well, I'm off to make a few more Christmas gifts for the special little guys in my heart.
More photos soon....hopefully my kids don't read my blog ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails