Monday, January 11, 2010

Fajitas and StirFry....from what's in your cupboard right now!

Okay, I have issues....can a person be a spice-aholic?

I like to think of myself as a good planner. I try to stay on top of the grocery list and meal planning (although at times it gets tossed to the wind). On a few of the nights that I have strayed from my plan, had a craving for something else....and the nearest grocery store is...well....it's far....these are a few of the things I have discovered I could make with what I already had in my spice cabinet. Frankly, it had never occurred to me to make my own fajita seasoning...that's just something that comes in a packet from the store, right? Well in my world it did! NO MORE! This mix is SO MUCH BETTER than the little packet!! And stirfry...we love it, eat it once a week at least, and the kids love it! So all in all it's a great meal on the cheapo.


Fajita Seasoning Mix

1 T. cornstarch

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. sugar

3/4 tsp. chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp. onion flakes

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. cayenne

1/4 tsp. cumin


Use two tablespoons for one batch of fajitas (basically half of this mix) and save the other half for another night!! Mix the 2 T. with 1/2 cup water, pour over your chicken, onion and peppers when they are done cooking. Let boil just a minute, ready to go!


Stirfry Sauce

3 T. teriyaki (or soy...I've used that in a pinch too...still yummy!)

2 tsp. cornstarch

2 T. dry sherry (or whatever you have on hand...I've also used marsala!)

1/2 tsp. ginger

1 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

sprinkle of ground red pepper


Stir together, pour over stirfried veggies, let boil just a minute, ready! YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails