Sunday, February 28, 2010

Adventures in Lasagna Baking


After getting a wild hair today I decided to go for it. Go for what you ask? Attempt my hand at a Pioneer Woman's recipe. I was more than a little nervous...these recipes (from what I hear) tend to go one of two ways....FABULOUS FANTASTIC or not fabulous fantastic. I can't say why I decided on the lasagna...after all, I will shamelessly say I've been told I make a mean lasagna (thanks Marsha!)...well actually I make my Mom's lasagna fairly well (thanks for the recipe Mom!). I digress....I have a house of men, and they like lasagna...so why not two options?

I purchased the ingredients, set aside a couple hours to assemble and cook, then tested it out on my men. My husband looked nervously at it, said "I knew this wasn't your recipe, it smelled different. Can I tell you if I don't like it?" Five minutes later he was proclaiming "don't mind me while I eat three pieces." It was a definite winner. Although, when I make it again I'll cut out all the extra salt....definitely doesn't need it. But then again, I'm a fairly low salt gal....so if you like your salt, go for the full recipe. Served with homegrown green beans...AWESOME!

Please check out the Pioneer Woman's blog.....your mouth will be watering!


Pioneer Woman's The Best Lasagna.Ever. (with modifications by Jen)

Ingredients
1-½ pound Ground Beef (I used just 1 pound)
1 pound Hot Breakfast Sausage
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 cans (14.5 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes (I used 1 qt. of homecanned tomatoes)
2 cans (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
1 teaspoon Salt (omit this)
3 cups Lowfat Cottage Cheese
2 whole Beaten Eggs
½ cups Grated (not Shredded) Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
1 teaspoon Salt (omit this)
1 pound Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
1 package (10 Ounce) Lasagna Noodles (I used all natural oven ready whole wheat lasagna noodles)
(add 1/2 Teaspoon Salt And 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil To Pasta Water)
Preparation Instructions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain half the fat; less if you’re feeling naughty. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 more tablespoons parsley, and 1 more teaspoon salt. Stir together well. Set aside. Cook lasagna until “al dente” (not overly cooked).
To assemble:Arrange 4 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little less than half the meat mixture over the top.
Repeat, ending with meat mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.
Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately: 350-degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails