Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Easter Eggs & Thrifty Elevated Bowl


Oh boy I had a sinful amount of fun today. Have I mentioned how much I love Free Free Cheap Cheap projects? ;-) I've been rediscovering the stash I have in the basement! My last few trips (several months ago) to Goodwill were VERY fruitful. But the things I found were pieces....pieces that needed partners. So......we'll get to that in a moment.

The other day I found a FABULOUS blog....the Crafty Sisters. Their Easter egg creations are A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.!!!!! I needed to try my hand at the Easter eggs!! Please visit the Crafty Sisters for the full run down....but basically you spray primer plastic eggs, paint, speckle, voila!!


Primered eggs.

Painted eggs, prespeckling. Do the full three coats of paint...even if you're tempted to stop and start speckling....they really do look beautiful after three coats.


Or just get the REAL thing from Miss Effie! Aren't these beautiful! And they're real...from real chickens...laid on a real farm. AHhhhh, I love Iowa.


Now to the project that I have now walked past about 7000 times sitting on the mantel because I'm SOOOOOO in love with it. The glass thingy came from Goodwill...a whopping $1.38. I'll admit I almost put it back on the shelf. It has a rounded bottom...so I wasn't sure how to use it....as a cloche? As a bowl that bobbled around on the table? Hmmm.......it sat in the basement for a good 4 months. The candle stick came from Hancock Fabric. Did you know they have a clearance section with stuff that is seriously criminally marked down. This thingy was $25 originally....I bought it for $2!!!!!



My weird glass thingy has found it's candlestick thingy partner!!!

Oooohhh...and I get to use EPOXY! :-)




Mix the epoxy, slather a little on the candlestick and a little on the glass thingy....
squish the two together and look what I got!!! :-)



Before epoxying the two together I gave the candlestick a pretty coat of creamy white paint. Oh ,I'm so in love with this thing. I can picture it with glass ornaments at Christmas, leaves and pinecones in the fall.....





What else do you think I could put in my fancy bowl?



Linking up to:
Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home
Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple
Get Your Craft On at Life as Lori
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage

21 comments:

  1. Oh it looks great! I did something similar over the weekend that I'm going to post about tomorrow. Yours has so much potential for all the different seasons, and the bowl is so nice and big, you could get a lot of goodies in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... I'm so not lying about this.

    I bought a TON of plastic eggs last year to do this project. I had the idea of speckled eggs in my head.

    Did I do it? Ha! No.

    The eggs are still in their original packaging. I should do it though. Maybe I will. You are making me feel inspired.

    PS - I signed up to go to Miss Effie's chicken class, speaking of eggs. Can.not.wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! I tell ya...painting those eggs is addicting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable! My husband and I went on vacation this past week and saw the speckled eggs in every store we went into. It's nice to know they are not only cute, they are easy to make! And I love the candle holder thing! It looks fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful transformation! You can't evan tell those eggs were the plastic kind! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the first picture I thought the eggs were either real or purchased that way. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming over from Life as Lori! Love your eggs. The whole look is just gorgeous! I tried to do some eggs like that too. Let's just say only one survived - lol! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful! and I'm lovin' those real eggs, too. I am so glad that I hopped over from Somewhat Simple! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when get a chance. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful! and I'm lovin' those real eggs, too. I am so glad that I hopped over from Somewhat Simple! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when get a chance. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I want to find a glass thingy and stand. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so so cute,, i love when two completely different things make one very pretty thing.. and of course to eggs are just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific idea! I love the speckled eggs and I just love the whole thing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally love this! It turned out GREAT!

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those eggs and display turned out too darn cute! way to go!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jen,
    What a great idea to decorate for Easter! I want one for my house! Just wanted to let you know that I have featured you on my blog here:

    http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/03/easter-spring-decor.html

    Feel free to grab my FEATURED button on the top left hand-side of my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So... you never said how to do the speckling part of the eggs. Is that a secret or something?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pikiviki! No secret...just forgot to mention I guess! :-) To get the speckles just lay the eggs on some newspaper then dip the end of tootbrush bristles in slightly watered down brown craft paint. Flick the brush over the eggs and you have speckles! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails