Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Family Rules!

They're finished! My family rules are up and being strictly obeyed. ;-) Just kidding....but I will (unabashedly) say I have two of the most polite, caring, thoughtful little guys a mommy could ask for...so apparently they didn't need my crafty version of the rules to know how important they are.


This was a fun project and I love the outcome! Carpel tunnel may be in my future, but hey, we all sacrifice for our art, right? I used the lead transfer method to get the letters onto my cabinet doors (yes, again with the cabinet doors...I just can't be contained in my love for old cabinet doors...thanks ReStore!) After the lead transfer was complete I handpainted the words in white and chose one word on each
door to paint in turquoise.


First, however the holes left from the knob and hinges needed to be wood puttied, left to dry (I have trouble with this), sanded. I then painted the doors with, you guessed it, ReStore paint....it's a nice neutral color.
UPDATE:
I've had a few questions about the "lead transfer method" I mentioned. There is an AWESOME tutorial over at Living with Lindsay to follow. I've done this method for years and thought I was the genius to invent it. Apparently I'm not. ;-) The only thing I do differently than this tutorial is to outline only the edges of the letters, instead of scribbling over the entire back surface. Have fun!!


On to the next project. :-)
Linking up to:

21 comments:

  1. Ok, Jen. NOW you are just showing off. ;)

    This is AWESOME. I LOVE IT! Seriously, so much, I'm yelling!

    "Stick together" is my favorite. I love these rules but I don't have enough creativity to come up with rules (unless don't knock down a Christmas tree counts) or the patience to execute it. But, I will live vicariously through you, and learn to use my Cricut.

    Which reminds me, I'm emailing you about Cricut-related things. Right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoVe LoVe LoVe it!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously great! Love it! It looks so fantastic on your wall too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this totally looks professional! Good job! And thanks for your kind comment on the Craft for Sanity blog. If you do make a felt board let me know, I'd love to see it!
    Sherral
    from craftforsanity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goddnes, I LOVE this! I ahve seen others make these signs, but yours is the first that I really, really like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love that you used a cabinet door, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat project! What exactly is the "lead transfer method" and where did you find out about it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that! What a cute and fun idea! I am going to bookmark this for future reference. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing idea. Amazing job. I. LOVE. It.

    (can I use your idea, and make my own?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great.... I love it..

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my glory I love it. You painted the doors black first right, and then you painted the letters white? What is the lead transfer technique? Share, share, I am in love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love your signs - what wonderful sentiments :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking us up to a tutorial. I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Love it! I don't know that I have a steady enough hand to paint letters like you, but I am definitely bookmarking this for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those "rules" and what a fun way to post them in your home! Where do you find old cupboard doors??? BTW, I'm a new follower cuz I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, these are fabulous...and so lovely to read about a mom with good kids! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! I need to have some family rules visible in my house, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love your subway art! And on cabinet doors - fabulous!! It turned out so cute!

    Thanks for linking up to my party!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute! i love this! i'm including your project in a subway art theme tomorrow @ crazydomestic.com. feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

    ReplyDelete

I kinda love comments, who doesn't? Nice comments. Only. I'm picky that way. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails